The Level 3 General Purpose Award aims to increase the handler’s range of skills and communication between dog and handler
This Security Dog Handler course improves the bond and understanding between the dog and handler.
Criteria of Trainee:
The trainees must hold the EDI Level 2 Award for General Purpose Security Dog Handler. The trainees must own their own suitable dog.
Location, Duration and Dates:
The course is based at our Training Centre in Hailsham. It is a modular course spread over at least sixteen days dependant on time taken to complete each module. Please contact us for dates.
Content of the course:
- Hand signals and distance control
- 5 minute Down with distractions and Handler out of sight
- 3ft Hurdle
- 4ft Long jump
- Chase with Emergency Stop
- 4ft6 Scale
- Track one hour old scent on varying surfaces to conclude with an indication of find by barking
- Article search under time limit (Dog should indicate by barking, freeze or down)
- Building search, dog will search whole or part of a building and indicate a find by barking, escort suspect and return to complete search
- Injured Person, 2 people have run off, all relevant information is to be gathered after ensuring injured person is dealt with, emergency services contacted if necessary. Area to be rechecked after situation is dealt with looking for weapons, evidence or other intruders etc
- Bark and hold in the open on fleeing suspect (chase with stand off)
- Passive attack on Dog and Handler, detain and escort
- Vehicle search from a distance, off lead.
- ‘A’ frame with pause
- 5ft Long jump
- Dog and Handler will search a building for multiple suspects and deal with them effectively. (removal from building in a safe manner)
- Attack on Dog and Handler (Criminal to drop weapon when told)
- Passive attack on Dog and Handler with a weapon (knife, gun or baton (One clean bite and immediate release when told))
- Open search/wooded area: Firearm.
- Communication skills when dealing with the public
- 5-6ft scale
- One person to be searched with dog off lead
- Multi-criminal attack
- Detailed verbal and written explanation of procedures leading up to both a building and open search.
- Canine First Aid
- Canine Emergency Procedures
- Canine general health and wellbeing.