The Level 2 General Purpose Award provides the handler with the skills required to work with a trained security dog
This Security Dog Handler course ensures that the trainee has the knowledge, confidence and ability to practice a professional level of service as a General Purpose Security Dog Handler.
Criteria of Trainee:
It is beneficial for trainees who wish to become a General Purpose Security Dog Handler to have experience as Security Officers (SIA Licensed).
Due to AlphaGuardK9’s commitment to increasing the level of professionalism within the security industry, prior to attending the EDI Level 2 course trainees must attend a one-day ‘Introduction Course’ to ensure suitability.
Location, Duration and Dates:
The course is based at our Training Centre in Hailsham. It takes place over 6 days but arrangements can be made if a flexible programme is required as long as the full 50 hours have been completed. Please contact us for dates.
Content of the course:
- Responsibilities of a General Purpose Security Dog Handler/correct welfare of GP Security Dog:
- Skills and Attributes
- Legislation, Health & Safety Requirements
- Animal Welfare/maintenance and Transportation
- Handling techniques required to handle a General Purpose Security Dog:
- Lead Handling
- Vocal Handling
- Correct use of praise
- Understanding the timing of reward
- Emergency Action Plans
- Applying skills to an operational situation:
- Pick up and indication of potential threat
- Communication techniques (to include Challenges and Questioning)
- Escorting suspect visitor
- Handler defence
- Search of an open area, built up area and building
- Patrol techniques
Benefit from faster progress and increased learning with our new One-To-One Security Dog Handler Training.